"What is happiness?" some ask. Far too often happiness is thought of as a destination-- people go through life down its many roads, taking certain turns, finding themselves at stop signs and traffic lights. I hate watching my friends be unhappy because of things going on around them when I know that if they knew they had a choice it could be different; if the knew and truly believed they had a choice it not only could be different, but it would be.
Not long ago, my happiness used to depend on the actions of others, but somewhere in life that changed. As I look back upon the last couple years I can't clearly see the moment that happened, though it was pivotal. That moment for me was difficult, full of pain and aching. The seemingly permanent and un choicely seperation of two best friends....I wanted nothing more than to be able to talk to my friend and see if they were healthy and safe. I had nothing I could give them but my prayers, and once I realized I had nothing to give but one of the most valuable and priceless things in the world, I prayed many times for my friend. But it still hurt. For weeks and months I would look in the mirror and see only shadows and pain in my eyes and in my face-- sadness because I didn't know how to be happy in a situation that presented so much sorrow. But then it happened. It finally came through to me that nomatter what happened from then on I could choose to be hurt or I could choose to be happy. I could choose to hate or I could choose to love. I could choose to walk in the shadows of the situations around me or I could choose to shine! Ever since I've never been happier. It took the most intense and stabbing pain I could handle at that moment in my life to teach me the most priceless lesson of choosing happiness over any other choice; a lesson that has made up for every moment of the hurt I ever felt because even when everything else around me is crumbling I know without a doubt that my Heavenly Father is there, and happiness is simply a choice. It's not a place or a series of events, it's an action-- it's a desicion one must make. A desicion that will make all the difference.
Thursday, February 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment