Sunday, January 2, 2011

A blessing of a new year, and a gift of an old

And another year has come and gone. Christmas music has played on the radio, and quietly slipped away again. I’ve met new people and learned new things. Been to college and come back home.

In the last year I've learned things I never knew I didn't know. God places us in a place and expects us to learn. I've learned that there are good people around us. Lots of good people, and lots of goodness. It’s all part of the plan. We’re not alone on our journey, nor were we ever meant to be.

But people leave. There are doors in life, leading from one room to another-- to new places, new people. Not everyone will always be in the same “room”. And that’s alright. Sometimes you need to let go of one thing in order to hold on to another.

I've learned that the truest feelings come in the simplest manners. Little things really do speak louder than actions, and you can't ignore them. Give people the benefit of the doubt, but don't lie to yourself. I've learned to please myself. Say what I want. Do what I think is best. Act how I feel. Everyone benefits most from honest feelings and honest actions, in the end.

Trust is necessary. You can’t spend so much time worrying about "outsmarting” the liars in your life.

Last of all, love. Love of  family. Love of friends. Love of a Savior. You need to feel the love and let it touch you. When you are filled with the love you receive, you are then able to fill others with the love they need. And a key, the more you think outside yourself, the more you love yourself. You must love yourself. Love who you are. Love who you were meant to be. The love of the Lord has the power to heal. It has the power to comfort and console. It has the power to change. If it weren’t for his love we would be useless beings in life.  There’s nothing quite like looking in the mirror and liking who you see.

I love my Savior. I’m so glad I am able to feel his love and for the opportunities at every turn that let me feel that. I’m grateful for the change and the rough roads I’ve traversed over the last year. They’ve taught me and helped me to grow. 

May 2011 bring new adventures and experiences. Opportunities to live. :) May the Lord bless you, as you travel your road.

Much love to you all.

No comments: