Monday, March 2, 2009

A lesson learned in a time of panick

There are a few things that I don't like. This list includes: snow, needles, seafood, being unorganized or having things out of place....and singing solos!!! :( Lucky me, I got asked yesterday to sing a solo at a tri-stake Easter cantata this Sunday that is being performed by select people from the three stakes. I about had a nervous breakdown the moment I realized what I was getting myself into, and the farther along it goes, the more nervous I get! A few months ago Skyler and I sang a duet in church, and I can handle duets, but my knees started shaking and my hands were shaking uncontrolably, and my face grew pale. Skyler says that he was preparing to catch me because he thought I was going to pass out on him. Hahaha, so maybe cross your fingers that I won't pass out till AFTER I've sang my solo, then they can drag me away. ;) lol.
But Skyler will be right there with me. Given the option, I asked him to join me. And with him by my side I can face it-- conquer it.
But this isn't what I wanted to share. There's a bigger picture. Upon recieving this assignment, I found myself panicked, stressed, feeling alone in the world. I'm not accustom to those feelings recently. I don't know how people go through life feeling panicked, sad, alone and abandoned. For me, those simple feelings made me want to cry, not just once, but every conscious moment of my day!
So, in my attempt to find peace and contentment, I used my scripture study to search it out. I found myself in a scripture that talked about being made whole. It's such a common phrase that gets carelessly thrown around. But it made me think, what does it mean to be made whole? Only things that are broken can be made whole, complete...but aren't we all broken, or chipped, or even just rusty and worn from the routines of life? To be whole can mean many things. There are the physical problems--illnesses and sicknesses, the sins, the feelings of betrayal, or hoplessness, unworthiness, unimportance, failure, and the feelings of sorrow, aching, tears, disappointment, NERVOUSNESS. It applies to you and it applies to me. We all reach diassappiontment. I venture to say we've all felt moments of belittlment or unimportance. Chances are, we've all felt sad. But this is what I was taught.
Countless times people were made whole. They were suffering, and the Lord fixed them. Whether I have a physical ailment, or if I'm just feeling down and out, it's not too much for the Lord. If I have faith, and desire to be made whole-- to be lifted, to become a better person, to feel peace or happiness-- it's not 'The Lord CAN, it's he WILL.' And for me, time and time again, he has.

No comments: